Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Unthinking & Deprogramming the Brain

via Developing Intelligence vis à vis Technoccult


“Untraining The Brain”: Meditation and Executive Function


I won't go into the meat and bones of the article, but the premise itself reminds me of a similar habit I've gotten into. Allow me to explain...


I have a nasty Sudoku addiction (and lets not even talk about Mahjong) that has manifested something completely different.This is hard to explain, but nowadays when I play I try not to actively think about the missing spots so much as I allow myself to sense their absence. Like the image above for example. You can count the squares and clearly see we need a 2, but at some point in my Sudoku career the answers just started to pop up.



There's a lot that can be said about that. I mean for one, we could say that I've conditioned my brain in some sort of pleasure-reward system to do the math for me, but at the same time I'm actively (and consciously) working towards this goal. Anyway, it's an interesting topic to explore. I think there's a lot more going on in our visual cortex than just blinking, if you catch my drift.

No comments: