Saturday, January 8, 2011

Needlebase: TorrentFreak Analysis

LINK


What is it?

I follow the Torrentfreak blog as part of my ongoing copyright research and they have a weekly post that tracks the top 10 movies on public bit-torrent trackers that I decided to scrape. At some point they changed the formatting which was a bit of a challenge to account for but Needle is flexible enough to work with both schema.

Why is this interesting?

Bit-torrent is a market that deals in illegal gigabytes, and as such I think it deserves closer examination. Also, I'm not aware of any other place online that has this information compiled and to me that's pretty cool.

Where is it going in the future?


It would be really cool to add actual box-office data and plot out a few graphs for historic cross-comparison. There's a really easy way to do this in a Google Docs spreadsheet using the GoogleLookup function but I haven't had the time.

edit - added link

No comments: